One thing that I've come to notice in my past year of being a teacher is that awkward people produce some really awkward kids, and I adore it! Nothing is more fabulously uncomfortable than trying to have a serious conversation about a child's education with a parent that reminds me of . . . well, someone suffering from Aspergers. Several of the following questions have been answered at these parent-teacher meetings: why does this kid keep staring at me like they have something to say, but nothing ever comes out; why does this kid speak in monotones, much like a robot would; why is this kid so dang socially awkward; why is this kid such an over-sharer (p.s. that's when the meetings get REALLY awkard). Well, of course these kids are so dang odd; their parents are even odder!
For example, yesterday I had another fun/awkward encounter right after school.
Scene: I'm sitting at my desk grading papers. Man (maybe father, not sure) and awkward student stagger VERY slowly up to my desk. Clearly these two people were never going to say anything, but possibly continue to slink slowly up to my desk until they were maybe standing right one top of it, so I made the first move.
Me: Standing up and addressing the " maybe father." Hi, what can I help you with? Do you have any questions for me?
Man: No.
Me: Thinking, ok you are clearly bizarre.
And that was it! That was the whole conversation with the man. Ok, well his "maybe daughter" jumped in and stammered out that she was here to get homework that she had missed, and then the couple proceeded to shadow me around the room as I collected assignments. As they left I thought, and that is exactly why that girl is so weird.
After having so many of these odd encounters with students and their parents, a thought popped right out of my head yesterday. "Oh man, I really hope James and I have awkward kids, and then after his/her teachers meet us they think, That explains it!" This is my new, favorite goal in life, and I truly think we can succeed in my new endeavor. James and I do many of the perviously mentioned awkward things that could be passed down to our offspring.
People that do things like this definately have potiential for awkward kids, right?
Well, here is to hoping that Baby Alvey is one awkward little darling!
(And, no that was not a pregnancy announcement. Or was it? But no it really wasn't.)
3 comments:
i hope you are on some good birth control. baby alvey is going to be scary.
Oh cant wait for some day to have that big announcement of that you are having that awkward child! lol
Are you pregnant? You've been sick this week! Now your talking about how bad you want a baby! Your pregnant arn't you?
Post a Comment