Sunday, October 3, 2010

Redbox: A Conspiracy


James and I have nearly been married a WHOLE year. We've had a lot of fun moments together so far, like going on a cruise to Mexico, tons of fun times camping, lame family reunions, lots of scattergories games with Chad and Amanda (we still have yet to win them), SEVERAL awkward moments, and lots of fun times just hanging out laughing together. . . . Last night may have topped them all.


It all started yesterday afternoon when my mom and I went to Monroe to visit my grandparents; we stopped at Chad and Amanda's on the way. I missed my Paislee Mae, so I needed to visit her. She was as cute as ever . . . once she woke up from her nap and finally warmed up to her favorite auntie. Anyway . . . that's kind of besides the point. The main thing we need to focus on here is that Chad gave me the Redbox movie Iron Man II to take back for him. I seriously thought about paying him a dollar, so we could keep it for the night because James has been wanting to see it, but I didn't have a dollar on me to pay him. I didn't want to hear for the next year that I caused him a dollar late fee, so we just took it back . . . and this is when the chaos insues.


When James got home from work later that night, we went to Lin's to go grocery shopping. We stopped at the Redbox there and returned the movie, but we still wanted to see it, so we then rented it again. No problems we thought. No big deal, just put the movie in, rent it again, and pay for it. Then we were off to buy food. We got home, put our groceries away, and sat down on the couch to cuddle up and watch a movie. The movie begins to play, and I'm totally into it. I don't notice anything odd. However, it's only playing for just a few minutes before James sits up a bit annoyed and says . . .

James: Is this the first movie?

Chelsee: No. We rented the second one.

James: Grabbing the remote angerly, fast forwarding the movie.

Chelsee: Still oblivious to what is going on . . .

James: Very angery now, storming over to the DVD player and ejecting the movie. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME! THIS IS IRON MAN THE FIRST ONE! Throwing the DVD across the room.

Chelsee: Don't get mad. It's not that big of a deal. It was only a dollar.

James was pretty irrated at this point, but I convinced him to go back to Redbox to get the right movie. And this is when the story gets really good.

James (dressed in a blue t-shirt, black basketball shorts, and his hidious black basketball shoes) and I (dressed in a green flowered t-shirt, gray cut-off sweats, and my beloved, worn-in Jesus sandals) head out to find the actual Iron Man II. Our first stop is Fresh Market. James returns the wrong movie we just bought, and storms back to the car (angerly might I add). No Iron Man II at this Redbox. Next we aim for Maverick, but James quickly starts cussing about how many people are in line for that Redbox, so we head to Mcdonalds. On the way there, he begins his crazed rant about Redbox stealing his dollar. We pull up to Mcdonalds, and he pretty much drives through the door. I politely comment on the fact that we aren't parked in a parking spot, but he ignores me, and storms to the Redbox there. Only a few seconds later, he storms back out with hands empty and angery words flying from his mouth. He then announces that we're forgetting about it and going home, which is fine with me, but I find we are heading to Walmart to look at the next Redbox in town. He parks, walks in, notices that the line is too long, walks around the self-checkouts, says hi/bye to the greeter, and storms back out to the car. Again, he announces we are going home. We then head back towards Lin's . . . the last Redbox in town. James has a tendancy to get mad and rant crazily about random things, so as we pass Sears he notices two cop cars sitting in the parking lot. He begins to yell about stupid cops, which obviously has nothing to do with the plight that we are in, but . . . he is REALLY angery now. On the way back to Lin's he carries on about Redbox purposely pulling up the first Iron Man, so he would click on it and waste a dollar; then have to return to spend another dollar on Iron Man II. I just politely nod my head in agreement because of course Redbox is conspiring against us, forcing us to spend an extra dollar! We pull into Lin's, he storms back in, and finally he comes out with the movie in hand.

The kicker . . . we finally get to watch the movie after driving around in a mad rage to five different Redboxes, and of course it was stupid.

2 comments:

Amanda and Chad said...

oh my heck- this is hilarious stuff! you guys are ridiculous- why didn't you just keep our movie?!?!? chad was all wierded out that you didn't... now he is going to give you crap once he reads this.

kathleen said...

Ineeded this good laugh and I could just see it happening by your story. That needs to be published. lol