Monday, August 30, 2010

Thoughts About Student Teaching and Some Stuff


So, I've been officially doing my student teaching for a whole four days now. I mean I'm basically an expert and probably deserve Teacher of the Year or something. I've brilliantly taught and compelled students how to write in a journal . . . TWICE, gone over spelling list words (that I seriously would have problems spelling myself), AND I've even had students, drum roll please . . . draw and color pictures describing themselves. YES, I know I'm quite amazing. Okay, so maybe teaching 6th grade English isn't like performing brain surgery, and it's not life changing, but hey, I LOVE IT!

Here are just a few things that I've thought thus far in my teaching experience:
  • "Stop starring at me little girl!" There are two little girls (actually one is bigger than I am and looks older too) that just won't stop starring at me. Today one was starring at me so much when she walked by I thought I might have a huge booger, or something horrific on my face. I mean, I don't know what is going through these girls' heads, but they stare an awful lot.


  • "I want to HUG you, but it might be awkward and inappropriate." There is a uncomfortablly shy girl in one of my classes that gets lost all the time and just seems really confused. I want to hug her.


  • "Why do students get really excited when they see a teacher out of school? I mean it's like they're seeing a zoo animal out of its cage." Friday after school I had to run some errands, so I was driving down the road with my window rolled down, and I came to a stop light. I suddenly heared frantic screaming of, "Mmmmmmrrrrsssss. Alveyyyyyyyy!" I turn to see one of my students hanging out of the school bus window waving like a maniac. I'm just a normal human, students; there is no need to freak out, but I like that you like me.

1 comment:

kathleen said...

THey just love you when they scream out the window. Enjoy it you will have many experiences and need to write them all down so you dont forget them